Navy Yard shooter was arrested in DeKalb in 2008
9/17/2013, 7:18 p.m.
DeKalb police say the man accused of killing 12 people Monday at the Washington Navy Yard was arrested in DeKalb in 2008.
An incident report acquired by CrossRoadsNews from DeKalb police said that Aaron Alexis spent a night in the county jail after getting into trouble at a nightclub on Chamblee-Tucker Road on Aug. 10, 2008.
Alexis was thrown out of the club after causing damage inside, police said. He then continued to curse and act belligerently afterward outside the building. No guns were involved in the incident, according to the report.
Alexis was charged with disorderly conduct. He was released on a bond the next day for “about $300,” said Capt. Steven Fore, a DeKalb police spokesman.
Alexis was killed Monday by police after authorities say he opened fire on people inside the Washington naval facility.
Officials report that the former Navy reservist had been treated for mental problems weeks before the massacre.
Authorities have said Alexis, 34, also had run-ins with the law in 2004 and 2010 in Texas and Seattle. Those incidents involved shootings, authorities said.