Navy Yard shooter was arrested in DeKalb in 2008
Ken Watts | 9/20/2013, 6 a.m.
Aaron Alexis, the man accused of killing 12 people on Sept. 16 at the Washington Navy Yard, was arrested in DeKalb in 2008.
An incident report acquired by CrossRoadsNews from DeKalb Police shows that Alexis, 34, spent the night of Aug. 10, 2008, in the DeKalb County Jail after getting into trouble at a nightclub on Chamblee-Tucker Road.
Alexis was thrown out of the club after causing damage inside, police said.
He then continued to curse and act belligerently outside the building. No guns were involved in the incident, according to the report.
Alexis was charged with disorderly conduct.
DeKalb Police spokesman Capt. Steven Fore said he was released on a bond for “about $300” the next day.
Alexis was killed Monday by police after authorities say he opened fire on people inside the Washington naval facility.
Officials report that the former Navy reservist had been treated for mental problems weeks before the massacre.
Authorities have said Alexis also had run-ins with the law in 2004 and 2010 in Texas and in Seattle. Those incidents involved shootings, they said.